What is a butterfly haircut? What types of the butterfly cut are there? Will it flatter you? All this and much more – in this inspiring article. Pictures included. Read on!
Advertisement-Continue Reading Below
What Is a Butterfly Haircut?
So, what is the definition of the butterfly haircut? The butterfly haircut is a haircut with face-framing layers and bottom layers. There are usually several rows of layers throughout the butterfly haircut. The back view pictures below will show you this characteristic feature of butterfly cuts. Can be done on short (bobbed), medium and long hair lengths, on straight and wavy hair types.
The Butterfly vs Wolf Haircut
A good question. The butterfly haircut has layers that frame the face and at the back. The ends are feathered. The wolf cut has a more choppy appearance, and less feathering, it also has fewer layers at the back. However, usually these two styles are combined. You can have partly choppy and partly feathered hair strands.
50 Ideas of the Butterfly Haircut
Time for photos, ladies.
– Beige Blonde Butterfly Cut. Here we see a marvelous face-framing layering with long curtain bangs. C’est magnifique!
– Cold Blonde Butterfly Haircut. This kind of haircut looks great not only with curtain bangs, but also with the see-through arched fringe.
– Chocolate Brown Butterfly Hairstyle. The silhouette of this haircut is something in between the shag and the mullet, but with extra layering.
– Light Blonde Voluminous Butterfly Style. The shade also matters, so always choose the blond that flatters your skin tone and eye color the most.
– Brown Butterfly Hair Style with Caramel Highlights. You can enrich your brunette mane with warm highlights. Caramel goes well with warm brown shades.
– Feathered Blonde Butterfly Cut. As you see, stylists choose to pair the butterfly cut with long curtain bangs most often. They must also be layered and feathered, as well as the ends.
– Blonde Butterfly Cut with Thinned Out Ends. A lot of women choose a haircut that is voluminous from the roots to the ends, but if you want the ends to look finer, start thinning out your hair from the midshaft.
– Trendy Korean Butterfly Haircut. Straight hair, thin bangs and “butterfl-ied” ends are all you need to recreate this look.
– Light Butterfly Style with Dimension. To get this dimension, use several shades in your hair. They will create that needed depth.
– The ‘Rich Brunette’ Butterfly Hairstyle. The rich brunette trend mixed with a hot butterfly silhouette are all you need this season to slay.
– Black and Pink Butterfly Cut. Two trends are mixed here, the butterfly cut and the colored underneath. The hairstylist has chosen black and pink colors to create a contrasting style.
– Black Colored Butterfly Hair Cut. Of course, a lot depends on your hair’s health. The black butterfly cut will look the best if hair is shiny and silky. The matte black looks not so good. Find the right hair care line for your locks.
– Toffee Brown and Caramel Butterfly Cut. Always stick to one option, either a cool mix of hair shades, or the warmer ones. Here we see a real idyll
– Blonde with Dark Roots Butterfly Cut. Dimension can be added not only with highlights, but also with darkened roots.
– Warm Brown Medium Butterfly Cut. Sometimes the layered bangs can reach half of the length of your hair. And it’s OK, but you will need to learn how to blow out them right.
– Burgundy Feathered Butterfly Hair. Here you see the back view of the butterfly cut, and now you know how many layers you will have if you choose this cut too. Marvelous!
– Ashy Butterfly Cut with Money Pieces. This combo looks great on this young model, but it can also be a great transitional hairstyle for seniors.
– Butterfly Cut with a Side Part. Your butterfly cut will look good with a center part and with a side flip. Don’t fear to change the part. You may even try the zig-zag one.
– Brown and Caramel Butterfly Hair with Face-Framing. The face-frame is created with heavy layering and front highlights. The back of the hair is less highlighted.
– The Ombre Balayage Butterfly Haircut. In this haircut only the ends are layered. The top part is completely straight. And this is one more variation of the trendy butterfly cut.
– Brown Butterfly hair with a Blowout. We have already said that the blow-out is very important in the post-salon hair care of your butterfly haircut. BTW, you will not necessarily need to style your hair with heat very often. There are many ways to create the ‘fake blowout’. Check out on youtube.
– Butterfly Haircut Transformation. If you need changes in your life, don’t just cut bangs. Call your hairstylist and book the haircut and hair coloring services. Butterfly cut will be a great idea for your transformation.
– Straight Medium Butterfly Hair. If you have straight hair, the butterfly cut will give you a reason to curl/blowout the ends a bit. You will get a whole new look. Say no to boring limp locks!
– Dark Mocha Brown Layered Butterfly Cut. Long hair will definitely benefit from adding some layers here and there. All the examples of long butterfly cuts here are real masterpieces! Hard to choose…
– Butterfly Cut with Colored Front. A great idea when you or your teenage daughter get bored.
– Milk Chocolate Butterfly Cut with Darker Roots. This classic shape of the butterfly haircut will flatter medium and short hair lengths.
– Gray Hair Butterfly Haircut. Yes, haircut of this kind is for all age groups. And look at the gray balayage. These highlights and lowlights are just perfect got graying hair.
– Armpit-Length Butterfly Haircut. With the butterfly cut you have no chance to give up on proper hair care routine. Without the right bottles and hair styling you may end up with flat locks. Good for you. Our hair is what? A crown we never take off, right.
– Dark Chocolate Butterfly Cut with Curly Ends. Your feathered ends can be not only blow-out in the right manner, but also curled a bit for better definition and more volume.
– Butterfly Hair with Full-Head Highlights. Your highlights can be done in strategically chosen places or full-head as we see in this picture. The layers with well-defined highlights are the ‘next level’.
– Black Hair with Ashy Highlights. Thin ashy gray highlights will make your dark locks stun. Not every woman will be bold enough to wear this head-turning combo. Are you?
– Beach-Style Blonde Butterfly Cut. Beach blonde hair with highlights and layers is what all blondes who crave soft changes need this year’s summer. Maybe you will find your surfer boy? 😉
– Curled Golden Copper Butterfly Hair. Volume on top, curls from the midshaft of the hair, and the perfect red-blonde shade that flatter your skin tone – these elements are all you need for your next visit to the salon if you like this picture.
– Butterfly Haircut with Eye-Grazing Bangs. If you decide to cut bangs, first call your hairstylist, and then choose the fringe that flatters your face shape and hair texture. Straight hair likes all types of bangs, and long thin see-through ones are not an exception.
– Wolf-ish Butterfly Cut. The border between the hot wolf cuts, shags, mullets and butterfly hairstyles is quite uneven. What we suggest is to combine the elements and shapes of several of them and create your own trendy style.
– Dark Butterfly Cut Past Shoulders. Here we see the two-step layered bangs, and then a lot of layers on the ends. A scheme worth trying if your hair type is the same as the model’s.
– Raven-Black Thick Hair with a Butterfly Cut. All dark brunettes rejoice! The butterfly haircut looks magnificent on your one-tone dark hair. This picture is proof.
– Dark-to-Light Brunette Butterfly Cut. Like a classic ombre but much better, right? The bangs are also highlighted a bit.
– Orange and Peach Butterfly Hair with a Fringe. The cheek-length curtain bangs are colored in a lighter peach shade here, and this looks super-stylish!
– The Minimalistic Butterfly Haircut. No heavy layering, no extra texture. Just the slightest touch of scissors here and there to make the cute face-frame and add a bit of dimension.
– Butterfly Cut with Flipped Back Layers. Here we see a great idea of how to get your hair out of your face. All the layers are styled back.
– Black Butterfly Hair with Some Highlights. We all know that beach-blonde looks with ‘sun-kissed’ highlights. What about the same sun-kissed highlights in brunette hair? Highlights the ends of your hair, cut your locks with layers, curl the front strands and the ends, and voila, your super cut is ready.
– Butterfly Cut Medium Hair. If your hair doesn’t hold curl well, fear not. Butterfly cuts are good for such hair types as they don’t need much styling. Healthy hair + a bit of ‘flipped’ styling at the ends are all you need.
– Extra Long Butt-Length Butterfly Haircut. This look is without any curling or special blow-out, so you can see how a butterfly cut can look completely straight. Stunning in any case!
– Super-Long Thick Butterfly Locks. The ends of your hair can be curled with a flat-iron, with a curling wand/thong, or styled heatless overnight. With some silk curlers, or even with traditional flexi rods in socks, for example.
– Very Long Stick-Straight Butterfly Hair. Even the straightest types of hair hold that butterfly-cut feel if styled right. Some practice and you will get the trick.
– Thick Brown Butterfly Hair. We already know that butterfly cuts look good on types 1-3 hair, for finer and thinner hair textures too, but what it can do on the thick locks! Just look at this picture. Jaw-dropping.
– Classic Blonde Shade with Butterfly Cut Texture. The standard blonde shade with a warmer appearance is great for women of all ages. Your main aim is to perfect the tone, getting rid of all the unnecessary undertones (greenish, yellowish or too warm reddish).
– Wheat-Blonde Butterfly Cut. It almost reaches the peach and strawberry blonde hair shades, but is still on the blonder side. Warm, girlish, romantic, it deserves to be tried and tested, especially during warmer months.
– Ash-Platinum Butterfly Style Haircut. Such hair shades in hairstyles flatter women with colder skin shades.
As you see, butterfly haircuts are very universally-flattering and look super cute. Is something left that stops you from trying it this year? It is the next-level layered haircut we will never be tired of. Worth our attention.